Saturday, September 24, 2011

Try, Try, & Try Again

It may have taken me all darn day, 


And so many tries, and tries, and tries,
but gosh darn it ...

All I wanted was ONE 8 1/2 inch star block
for dear John'alee of

Read the complete details here:

You see, John'alee requested 8 1/2 inch
and 12 1/2 inch star blocks.

I've never been very good at math ...

in fact make a LOT of mistakes ...

So, when I decided I could "simply"
reduce in size a 12 1/2 inch
pattern to make an 8 1/2 block ...

well ...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!

My first attempt ... 8 inches ...
8 inches which includes the seam allowance.

UGH!

My second attempt ... 9 inches ...
I mean seriously!

Well, at this point, I've run out of the
 white background fabric I purchased
for my lovely star blocks ...
I've been reduced to using the left-over
squares I previously cut out for
above stated blocks.

What, you think I should have made one
 block to start with to make sure I got it right???
Yeah, right, hindsight -- an easy thing!

So, I gave up on my original beautiful star and
created this block.
Ha! One Block!
I did it!!

So, I have one block to contribute :)
for Tory's Soldier's Quilts ...
plus several others I'm donating to
John'alee just in case she needs some fillers
or decides to make a pillow or two.

Now, I think I'll call it a night on my star blocks
and go see what other project needs done
that requires no actual thinking on my part.

Maybe sleep?

Oh, Oh, Oh!!!!

Wantobe Quilter Susan
won yesterday's
Sew We Quilt giveaway!!!


She signed up through my blog ...
WooHoo!!!

You see, try, try, and try again ...
Comment, comment, and comment again,
and you too
may be chosen a winner.
(and if you win, I win!!!)


Happy hugs and warm hearted wishes ~

11 comments:

  1. OH Wendy....I am so sorry you spent all day on this. But all the blocks are beautiful and I will use everyone my sweet friend!! I soooo appreciate you taking the time to help me out. You are a doll! Can't wait to get them in the mail!
    Tons of Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I have to admit, I don't think the size will matter, they are all wonderful....she can make some all star quilts...my block I am sure is not perfect either...but you know YOU ARE a STAR for trying and trying again...xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stars for John'aLee weekend sewing marathon - I also got mine sewn up. I love the stars you are sending. I picked out the 12-1/2" Army Star pattern from Quilter's Cache and the Evening Star to send. Collectively we will have a quilt. Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, you and your stars are beautiful! I am sure they are going to work out perfectly. Just remember... "an artist is their own worst critic"....hmmmmm I wonder where I may have heard that one before? And yes, I won!!! WE won the wantobe giveaway yesterday!! I am soooo thrilled and I see my very first quilt on the horizon!!!! What better memories to sew into a 'first' quilt than this? Thank you for being my sponsor and a bazillion thanks to Madame Samm for all her hard work and sponsors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too funny Wendy...all the blocks are wonderful and all the blocks will work. There are times when perfection can drive you crazy. I'm hoping to get back to blogland soon...I haven't had a lot of time to play with my new computer. I wish I was a 'techie gheek'. It seems I'm always struggling with the dang computer....to the point I want to give up!! I'll be working on Ghastlies and John'alee's blocks and pillowcases next week. happy hugs Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same problem with my blocks! She will receive one, but if we all make one, that will be a lot of stars. All she has to do is add a border to your wondwerful stars to make them 12 1/2. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work Wendy! It doesn't matter how many tries it took, you succeeded and that's all that counts. :) And next time you have a math problem call me. I used to teach algebra! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the star blocks! You were sure persistent! ;-) I finished mine this morning and hope they will blend with everyone's well. Isn't it funny how we all want our stars to be 'perfect'? Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shwewee! Way to go girl! I love the final block (and the others too :))!! What a sweetie you are to make those!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous blocks, Wendy! I know they will be loved and used! Way to keep on trying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are one sweet gal Miss Wendy! I am so sorry for your headache! I will use every block! I know every one of them was stitched with so much love. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete