Friday, January 24, 2014

Grow Your Blog Hop Party

Hello! and welcome to Why-Knot-Kwilt?


For those of you visiting for the first time through 2 Bags Full's
 Grow Your Blog hop party ... I welcome you with a warm heart!  
For those of you returning ... I give you my sincerest thanks!
And most of all ... Vicki of 2 Bags Full ... what an undertaking!
I thank you sincerely!!

Introductions are in order ...

I am Wendy, single mom of two girls under ten years of age, living in Western Montana, USofA.  I have been quilting for just under ten years now ... most projects as gifts for friends, family, and well, give-aways on my blog ....

I was first introduced to quilting by my friend Vicki.  Now, I've been sewing since my very first Holly Hobby sewing machine was given to me when I was 5 or 6 years of age.  My grandmother used to give me fabric for presents and then I inherited her used Singer.  You know, one of those heavy-duty, nothing ever broke models?? Loved it until the day I could no longer replace parts on it.  Loved my grandmother more, of course.  Back on course ... I always said "I'll quilt someday."  Well, someday came when I became pregnant at 36 yrs old and I was sent home on bed rest.  After twenty-some years in the corporate world, what the heck was I gonna do sitting at home all day on bed rest. (Type-A personality here ?!!?!?! :) )  Along comes my friend Vicki.  She quilted for years back east (anything east of the Rockies seems to be 'back east' to my Montana-bearings but Vicki was a legitimate North-Virginian) and Vicki decided she might take on teaching me to quilt.  Upon the death of my dependable, loyal Singer, I got a steal of a deal on a new Bernina Virtuosa on eBay ... heavy duty with lots of stitches I just had to learn how to use (still haven't mastered many of them).  My first quilty-thing was a wall hanging with my first born daughter's name on it pictured below:

Of course, two years later, I made this one when my second daughter was born:


What I find ironic looking back now is that the cool pastels and the vibrant brights of the fabrics so parallel my girls' personalities ... who knew? {grin}  

About the time I was making my youngest daughter's quilt for her first birthday, Fons & Porter had been running a baby quilt contest.  A friend suggested I enter my quilt into this contest.  Newbie to the quilting world that I was, I didn't know any better, so I entered. ... Needless to say, I didn't win the baby quilt contest, but I found out F&P deemed my humble quilt worthy of entry into their Easy Quilts baby quilts magazine issue!
  Holy Cow!!  How cool is that!!  
How could a person not feel they didn't win when this is the result of losing?

Happy Flowers quilt designed by me!

Can you say ..... Holy Cow Poop!  
After a quilting start like this, how could a girl not get hooked??? 

Oh My Goodness?  How do I possibly follow this up?  ...  Well, through the magic of internet broadcasts, youtube videos, blogging tutorials, and many other online sources, I've learned about quilting "rules," quality fabrics, proper tools, and most importantly what it means to follow my instincts no matter what or how much advice others offer.  I love the process of piecing a quilt as much as I now enjoy quilting and completing a quilt.   I like to encourage the same in others ... no matter what, follow your creative instincts, do what feels good to you when you create!

Why I blog ...

When I began my blog in May of 2010, it was at the encouragement of a friend and I have to say she really had to talk me into it.  I knew nothing of blogging nor of the blogging world.  I had heard the word bandied about, but never really investigated what a "blog" was.  Well low and behold, I was introduced to Amy's Creative Side and her marvelous Blogger's Quilt Festival, but, you needed a blog in order to participate. So ... I thought "why not do it?"  Naming the blog took me several more days to ponder.  I'm not clever.  When I try to be funny, I fall flat.  So, then I thought, "Why Knot"?  Hey that works.  Now, look what I've become!!!

Then something happened ... and for me it was magic!  In June of 2011, Madame Samm of Sew We Quilt blessed me with a blog makeover.  I was OVER THE MOON excited!!  Not only about the blog makeover, and don't get me wrong, it was amazing!, but the fact that she picked my humble blog to fancy-up.  Way Cool!

Over that next year and into 2012, my blog friends became my lifeline... life changes happened, and still, this blog of mine kept me grounded in reality, this blog and my blog friends kept me involved, kept me crafting, kept me inspired, and kept me connected. My blog friends are my online quilting circle since I have not been able to participate in one locally over the last few years.  Here I am, in 2014, finally able to start seeing the possibilities of a good life again, and still, my blogging friends are there for me.  Thank you dear friends!

What my blog is about ...

Since my family and most of my friends do not live anywhere near me, I sometimes share tidbits about what is happening with me and my daughters on a small scale, just to let them know we're doing okay.  Mostly, however, my blog is about my creative endeavors and the quilting projects I am currently working on.  Madame Samm of Sew We Quilt ... which again, is my online quilting group ... leads inspired and challenging hops, many of which I join to stay creative and active in my group and blog.  As many of you moms know, you don't get very many opportunities to be told you are doing good, much less encouragement to stay involved and creative in something that makes you happy ... well, this blog and my commitment to it does just that ... it keeps me creating, it keeps me encouraged, and most of all, the comments left by visitors, truly inspires me and they are so very appreciated!!  While I may often extol the need to be kind, I will be the first to laugh at my own mistakes and find that perhaps by sharing my mistakes, you too will laugh with me and feel better about little mistakes you might make.  There are no quilt police on this blog ... if there ever were, well they found reason to run away real fast long ago! I have a seam ripper and I'm not afraid to use it!!! {ha!}  If we can't laugh at being human, well ... what's the point? {grin}

My goals through blogging ....

I have cut back my corporate world schedule to 20-hrs a week so I am more available to meet the needs of my daughters and their school schedules.  This is hard to do, as I am sure many of you totally understand, but it was a choice I had to make and so far do not regret.  I hope to continue to grow my quilting work for others and perhaps one day expand my creativity into more full time than not, but until then, the steady paycheck is a must!  As I wrote earlier, this blog helps keep me connected and inspired.  A few years back I had a long arm Gammill, but events led to me selling it.  I hope to one day soon own another so I may get back to the wonderful art that is long arm quilting.  I currently piece and quilt for customers using my domestic machine, and while that is of course a challenge, every customer is so very appreciated and the payments help keep my household running.  I've developed two patterns for Craftsy and am currently working on a third ... in fact, for one of my upcoming hops, so I hope you come back for another visit ... here's a hint:


If that isn't a teaser, well then, I don't know what to tell you!  I was never really interested in high-heels ... until just recently ... now, well I've become enamored with them and I created this small collage for inspiration.  While I don't yet own a pair like these ... I one day soon hope to treat myself to a pair (though will need a reason and a place to wear them)!! That's all you get .... 

Intrigued?  I hope so as that means you will come back for another visit!
Please do ... I enjoy meeting new people and learning about new places ... which means if you don't get a response to your comment immediately, know that I am off visiting the other 585 participants of the Grow Your Blog hop party !!!

Thank you so much for stopping in and I hope to see you again soon,

Until then, warm hearted wishes,


Wendy of Why-Knot?


40 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy!~ it's great to 'see' you! I love visiting your blog, you are such an inspiration! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy ... I have been a follower for awhile via the blog hops and have enjoyed your blog and your quilting. Now I feel I know you so much better. Thanks for sharing on the Grow Your Blog Hop ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always fun to visit you and look forward to what 2014 brings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, love you're picture and your story! Blessings, Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy already a follower but glad to get to know you a little more. Have a lovely weekend Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice story. I am a follower Wendy and enjoy stopping by to see what you are up to. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a smashing introduction and explanation of what brought you to kwilting and blogging too.
    I intend to be here to see what the heels idea is going to be
    did you ever watch the film Kinky Boots???? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a smashing introduction and explanation of what brought you to kwilting and blogging too.
    I intend to be here to see what the heels idea is going to be
    did you ever watch the film Kinky Boots???? lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Holy Cow Poop Wendy, as long as I have followed you, I never knew! LOL!! I must say, I do LOVE that saying! Don't you just love that Madame Samm. :-) She has enlightened my world too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am lovin' getting to know everyone. I may not have time to read everyone, but I am going to try. Yep, I found you reading hops with Madame Samm. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy, I'm Beth one of Vicki's GYB party volunteers. Your quilting is gorgeous girlfriend...and I loved your story about your blog and why you blog! I hope you have lots of fun at the blog party and wish you much success at "Growing Your Blog"!
    Hugs and have a great weekend,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally in awe of you, from heart to visual to your lovely future as a woman with heart

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Wendy, thanks for sharing your story. It's so interesting how things happen and turn out. Looks like many exciting things are in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are my first one to visit from the GYBH. I started with the biggies, last one listed - and that's you!

    Who wouldn't love your bright baby quilts - tres adorbs ~

    Pop on by for a visit - thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Wendy! wow this blog hopping is taking me around the world today and i am v intrigue with you shoe collage....popping by as part of the 'grow your blog day' Its such a lovely way to find super new blogs to read...I am joining along with you too
    bestest weekend wishes
    Daisy j

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to know you a little better! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you enjoying this party as much as I do? I love your teaser and I love high hills!
    Evalina, This and that...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have another friend who loves heels too. I can't wear them though...not for years. I am already following on e-mail and Bloglovin. I am having fun finding new bloggers to follow...love sewing and quilting. Greetings from Oklahoma, USA. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been following your blog for a while now. It's lovely to hear your story about how you got started with quilting and blogging. Also lovely to see what you look like. Now I can picture you when I leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  20. long time follower, enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am a follower and I truly enjoy watching you evolve! You are such a talented young lady. Will be fun to see how the 'heels' fit in. Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm now a follower after popping in from the GYB party. So greeting from Bullengarook Vic Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been a follower because of your involvement with the SewWeQuilt hops. This was a nice post and, of course, I learned more about you. I enjoy all your posts and projects.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Wendy,

    How lovely to meet you thanks to the GYB party. :)

    I must admit that I have never quilted -- and the last time I used a sewing machine was at school. However, I must also admit that I have thought of getting back to sewing, as I quite enjoyed it as a child and teenager.

    A couple of years ago I visited your home state and just love the wide open landscape. I hope to come back one day -- who knows?!

    High-heels? Or rather high-hells?! ;) I can't properly walk in them -- I am constantly nervous to sprain my ankle. Hah! :) I like the look of some high-heels, but I don't see myself stagger on them in the near future. ;)

    Happy quilting and lots of greetings from Munich, Germany,
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Wendy,

    I'm visiting from the Grow Your Blog party. It is so nice to meet you. I love high heels too, but my feet don't seem to like them ... LOL. It has been quite the party. I wanted to try and visit everyone and you are the last one on the list. If you haven't already, please do stop by to enter my giveaway. Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs – Donna

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Wicked Wendy! I'm visiting from Grow Your Blog and totally loved reading those little newsy things about yourself. I can't help you grow your blog today since I already follow you around and love every minute of it! From your bloggy friend, Creepy Carol :O)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Wendy,
    I loved your quilts for the Kona blog hop!! And the pictures of the quilts were so nicely done. A single Mom of two has a very full plate indeed. We still have two at home, two are nearby and working on young adult life. Recently I bought a machine quilt frame but haven't yet started using it. Currently I am working on Bonnie Hunters Celtic Solstice, first time with a mystery quilt and first time trying a King size. Wondering if that wasn't a wee bit of foolishness at the moment.
    Thank you for sharing a part of yourself and good luck with high heels.
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  28. I got distracted by the heels...as all's I was thinking is: "Girl, I wear Dansko's and LOVE THEM!!!!" LOL!!! Nice meeting ya through the GYB event and I added myself as a GFC follower....YAH! Stop by if ya get chance: myplvl.blogspot.com (I'm a newbie to all this) With smiles! v

    ReplyDelete
  29. Visiting from the GYB and joined as a follower. I am new participating this year so hope you will make it over to visit at http://dillmansdallies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good Morning Wendy I to am a fellow Montanan from Kalispell was fun to come across your blog will look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Wendy--thanks so much for visiting me via the GYB party :) You were very sweet in your comment. I read your blog post and your work is gorgeous and you've done a terrific job of parenting your girls. Not just anyone would cut back work hours to the degree you have to spend more time with their children. They are blessed. Thanks again for visiting; I look forward to getting to know each other better :) PS I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Wendy! Nice to meet you. Your blog is just so good-looking, I've browsed a bit and I've found beautiful quilts (I love the ones with white in it), totes, beautiful girls and nice quotes. All the best, Ana

    ReplyDelete
  33. Interesting story, Wendy. Is that your baby quilt on the cover? It was nice getting to know you. Best on all your quilting endeavors. Angie here via GYB.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don’t have a lot of blog time in for I just started blogging when I joined the blog party it was my New Year resolution. Got side track with Reading my 376 blog and more to go. but I like all things creative n thrifty. Enjoy the most about your read. the high heels because I know the story didn't end.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Born To Party - portable and innovative rudio speakers, big sound, take the party with you anywhere.
    http://www.sonicboom.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Visiting from St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Nice to meet you. I'm finally at the end of the blog hop. Thanks for sharing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  37. It has been really nice to get to know you and your family- you do lovely work - thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This device supports the latest Bluetooth profiles, allowing control and streaming of high quality audio from your Bluetooth-enabled device such as these self-powered speakers.
    http://www.sonicboom.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete

Your kindness is appreciated ... Thank you!